Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Is it all relative?

2 nights in a row and no sleep. *Sigh* I wish I could wear a sign that said "don't mess with me, I didn't sleep last night". Instead of tossing and turning all night I decided to catch up on my long list of tivo'd Platinum Weddings. .... I know I know, watching TV is the worst thing you can do when you can't sleep, but at 2am it sounded like a good idea.

WHY oh WHY do I watch this show? I mean, not only do these million dollar Platinum Weddings make my Aluminum one seem so desperately sub par... but I also get frustrated from a sociological point of view.

One bride spent TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS on her DOG's wedding dress. Are you flippin' kidding me? 2 grand? That's twice the budget for MY dress. Despite this type of over the top doggie pampering, the bride still had a look on her face that read "So help me God, if you lift a leg on my THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLAR custom designer gown I WILL take you to the pound... doggie dress and all".

Other brides think nothing of spending $20,000 on custom linens. $20,000???!!! I wonder if they know that they could plan a WHOLE WEDDING for what they spend on TABLE CLOTHS!

I'm frustrated. And cranky. And suffering from a lack of sleep, but this seems ABSOLUTELY ludicrous to me. Do they know that there are people in the world that are suffering? Do they know that according to Sally Struthers, at 60 cents a day they could use their TABLE CLOTH budget to feed a hungry person for EIGHTY THREE YEARS?!?!?!?!

But, maybe people think the same thing of me? I'm certain there are people out there that think $1000 is too much to spend on a dress that you'll only wear once. If it's all relative, where do we draw the line? Would you spend a ludicrous amount of money on your wedding if you could????

1 comment:

  1. I think it's pretentious and tacky to spend that much. And it shows that have poor judgement - why spend $20K on linens and not a house?

    ReplyDelete