Monday, August 17, 2009

I'm getting MARRIED!


I’m in love with a man that is the complete opposite of what I expected.
Years ago I wrote “the list”, and oh sure, he has all of the important things (ie. loving, close to his family, great sense of humor) but none of the qualities in my subcategories (ie. No Doctorate from Yale. Dark and handsome… but definitely not tall. And much to my chagrin, he’s not a millionaire). In fact, after our first date I turned to him, as if I were the hiring manager at a job interview, and said matter-of-factly “you have none of the qualities on my ‘list’”. Thankfully this didn’t dissuade him.

Fast-forward two years… In the exact same spot where he asked me to be his girlfriend, he asked me to be his bride.

I burned my “list”.

Now I’m planning to marry the most unexpectedly magnificent man I’ve ever encountered.

My parents are equally magnificent. They have generously agreed to pay for our wedding. Then my dad got a pay cut at work. In a shaky economy he’s grateful to have a job, but this throws a major loophole in the extravagant “platinum wedding” I’ve been dreaming about since I was a little girl (and admittedly, planning since well before I was engaged.) Mom and I are working hard to reign in our expensive tastes. After weeks of touring Crystal Ballrooms in fancy hotels, we’ve agreed to only view places that actually fit into our tight budget. We believe that with some creativity, ingenuity, and great sales we can create a platinum wedding on an aluminum budget.

Thankfully, for me, finding deals is like a game. I love wearing designer clothes that I got from thrift stores, jewelry from yard sales, and shoes from clearance bins. And I LOVE telling people that my dress only cost $2.00, after they compliment me on my style! With so many great deals available, I pride myself on being high maintenance… on a budget.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, damask is good...bubbles used or not are still bubbles...good...hey, smart 'bride to be'!
    Love the blog!

    Marie Prater

    ReplyDelete