Monday, March 29, 2010

Wardrobe Malfunction

I was absolutely thrilled to be a recipient of the Susan B. Anthony List young leader award. I feel completely honored and thoroughly undeserving.



But it was QUITE the journey to get to DC for the Gala. As I mentioned previously, J's dad passed away last week. The day after his funeral I got sick as a dog. There's a nasty stomach bug going around and I got it big time. I was the type of sick where I moaned and called on Jesus. It was awful. I got it on Sunday and spent all day Sunday and all day Monday in bed. I SHOULD have spent all day Tuesday in bed too, but I had tons to do to get ready to leave for Washington DC on Wednesday.

Finally Wednesday rolls around. I'm still weak and tired but so excited. I got to the airport in plenty of time, got through security with no problems, and got to the gate in time to find out that my flight had been delayed 3 hours, which would mean I'd miss my connection and get to DC at 8pm, smack dab in the middle of the Gala. I went to the desk and asked for a different flight. I had to go BACK out to get a new ticket, and then go through security AGAIN. I was SO tired and frustrated, but ended up getting to DC just an hour later than I'd expected.

I spent WAY too much time getting dolled up, and met my good friend Emily. She drove to the Willard. We got out of the car and handed the keys to the valet.

Then I heard the valet yelling after me "Ma'am, Ma'am!! I don't mean to be dirty... but your DRESS!". I reached behind me and realized that my dress was completely undone, from the top ALL THE WAY to the bottom... my zipper had completely broken.

So I ran through this fancy pants hotel in the company of politicians and millionaires with my dress hanging completely open for all of our Nation's Capital to see my bizniss. Needless to say, I was mortified. Emily and I went to the front desk to get a sewing kit, but in the back of my mind I was thinking "yeah right, this is unfixable". I panicked. I was certain that I'd have to miss the Gala and turn around and go home.

Then I remembered that we'd passed a Filene's Basement on the way to the Willard. I asked the lady at the front desk how far it was, and thankfully it was just a couple blocks away. Emily and I ran to the store, (as I called J and my mom to tell them what happened... later I find out that J called my mom and said "she really got me this time" because he didn't believe me! He didn't believe me beacuse I wasn't crying! lol! Come on! No time to cry!!!!) grabbed a bunch of dresses, tried them on, found one that was fine, threw the dress and my debit card and Emily and had her buy it for me, threw my old dress in the trash can, and ran back to the Gala. OMG. I was sweating and my hair was frizzy, but praise the Lord, no one knew that they almost got a show with their dinner. And all I missed was the VIP cocktail reception. ;-) They say I'll laugh about this someday... we'll see.

I started the evening in THIS dress:


And ENDED the evening in THIS dress...

No comments:

Post a Comment