Monday, February 1, 2010

Crying in the Corner

So in the midst of my fore mentioned ridiculously hectic week, I received a call from my wedding photographer, Scott.

Scott is a dear friend. I worked as his assistant for a summer during college. He taught me more about photography than I could have ever learned in a classroom.

When J and I first got engaged Scott was one of my “must haves” when thinking about our wedding. I was thrilled when he said he’d photograph it. I’m extremely picky. In fact, whenever someone asks my mom who will be photographing our wedding she says “don’t you feel sorry for that guy”.

Well, apparently Scott found out that I’m rather hard to please because the phone call in the midst of my hectic week was to inform me that he could no longer photograph our wedding. Our wedding which takes place in FOUR months. Our wedding which has a UBER tight budget. OUR wedding, where a picky photographer and a picky videographer get MARRIED. I was devastated. Thankfully I was too busy with work to focus too much on the grandeur of this announcement at the time. But now it’s sinking in.

See, Scott was planning on photographing our wedding with his own private company. He also shoots for a big name portrait studio in St. Louis. Despite Scott asking specifically for that day off, the big name studio tyrant is forcing him to work. Scott has found another girl to photograph the wedding and has said that he will be able to shoot the ceremony. Unfortunately, I have to say, I feel like I’m totally getting the shaft. I guess I should be grateful that he’s found me a backup, but I’m hesitant since I’ve only seen a couple of her images, and that I don’t have a personal relationship with her, like I do with Scott.

So, I’ve been tooling around online looking for a new photographer. And guess what? They’re EXPENSIVE. The cheapest decent photographer I found charges TWICE as much as Scott for HALF the service. The more I think about the whole ordeal, the more I want to sit in a corner and cry.

I have my mom’s voice echoing in my head “everything happens for the best”. I’ll keep repeating that to myself and go with the replacement.

Meanwhile, here’s some of Scott’s work for you to feast your eyes on…. and if you can't find me, I'll probably be in the corner crying...

No comments:

Post a Comment